People First New Zealand
People First New Zealand Inc. Ngā Tāngata Tuatahi is a Disabled Persons Organisation (DPO) and a national self-advocacy organisation that is led and directed by people with learning (intellectual) disability.
People First is here to:
- make sure people with learning disability can speak up and be heard on things that are important to them in government, in services and in the community;
- represent people with a learning disability who cannot speak for themselves;
- promote the rights of people with learning disability.
People First NZ has:
- a free Disability Information and Advice Service for information about learning disability;
- free membership for people with learning disability, who are over 18 years of age;
- monthly local self-advocacy meetings held around New Zealand;
- leadership projects and opportunities for people with learning disability;
- courses for people with learning disability that services can contract us to deliver;
- a service to translate your information into Easy Read – a format that is easier for people to read and understand;
- members that are experienced disability advisory group representatives, and trained Meeting Assistants to assist them;
- Books and DVDs you can order.
- Adult / Pakeke