Public Health South is involved in the prevention of injuries from exposures to hazardous substances.
Designated Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act Enforcement Officers enforce the Act in respect of hazardous substances in public places by:
- Processing and auditing of vertebrate toxic agent (VTA) applications including 1080
- Inspecting of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB) holding facilities
- Responding to Spray Drift Incidents
- Responding to chemical incidents
- Providing domestic asbestos and lead paint testing
- Ensuring management contaminated sites
- Providing advice on hazardous substances
If you have any questions about any of the above please do not attempt to touch any hazardous materials. Health Protection Officers are available to provide advice to home owners/occupiers. Phone Monday to Friday 9 – 4.30 Dunedin (03) 476-9800 and Southland (03) 211-8500.
Contractors engaged to carry out building renovation or repair work must contact Worksafe NZ for advice about asbestos issues. Please do not send asbestos samples in the post.