Tobacco smoking is a major public health problem and is the leading cause of preventable death and disease in New Zealand. It results in almost 5,000 deaths every year, killing two thirds of those who smoke.
Smokefree South - supporting a smokefree / auahi kore future
The goal is driven by a vision that families, whānau are entitled:
- to be well
- to enjoy long life
- to be free of chronic illness and
- our children and grandchildren will be free from tobacco and live smokefree lives.
Smokefree South aims to reduce the impact and incidence of tobacco related harm by:
- increasing the number of people giving stopping smoking a go
- reducing the number of young people starting smoking
- working with councils to increase the number of smokefree spaces
- helping organisations like workplaces, education settings, sports clubs and marae to create a smokefree culture
- encouraging smokefree homes and cars
- enforcing smokefree rules and regulations under the Smokefree Environments Act 1990.
Smokefree South are members of the following three coalitions who promote smokefree people and places across Otago and Southland:
- Smokefree Otago
- Smokefree Murihiku
- Smokefree Queenstown Lakes / Central Otago.
Smokefree South resources
Durable signage options (30cm x 15cm) suitable for indoor or outdoor use are available to order by emailing email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Signage is free and available throughout the Otago and Southland. View signage options here.