Back to top anchor

Brought to you by Health New Zealand | Te Whatu Ora – Southern and WellSouth primary health network

Open main menu Close main menu

Enduring power of attorney

Life can be fragile and you never know when the ability to make your own decisions can be affected by sickness or injury.

An Enduring Power of Attorney is a formal document that outlines who you would like to 'talk' for you and make decisions on your behalf if are too unwell to do this.

Enduring Power of Attorney - Protect your future

Having an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) means you can have peace of mind that you have decided, ahead of time, who you trust to make decisions for you if you can’t decide for yourself.

It’s important for every adult, whatever their age, to take steps to create an EPA.

What is an Enduring Power of Attorney?

Office for Seniors, Ministry of Social Development

An Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) is a legal document that can protect you and what is precious to you.

There are two types of EPAs:

  1. Property – covers your money and assets and can come into effect before you lose mental capacity. You may have more than one attorney for this EPA.
  2. Personal care and welfare – covers your health, accommodation and associated care decisions, and comes into effect only if a medical professional or the Family Court decides you have become ‘mentally incapable’. You may have only one attorney for this EPA.

An EPA means only the people you trust – your ‘attorney/s’ – can make decisions about your life and/or your treasured possessions, such as your house, money and belongings. You are referred to as the ‘donor’.

An EPA can protect you from financial abuse because you have chosen that person or people yourself. That means your wishes are more likely to be respected, and that decisions should be made in your best interest.

An EPA can also save your family the cost and stress of having to get a court order to make decisions about you and your property and finances should something happen to you.

What does an attorney do?

Once an EPA comes into effect – either at your request (for a property EPA) or when a medical professional considers you mentally incapable (for a property or a personal care and welfare EPA) – your attorney (or attorneys) can make most decisions about your care and welfare, your property and finances.

You decide if that power applies to everything or only to parts of your care. There are some areas – such as marriage, divorce, adoption or refusing life-saving medical treatment – where an attorney has no power to decide.

Your attorney’s (or attorneys’) main responsibility is to act in your best interests, and they must involve you in decisions as much as you are able. If you or your family have concerns about their behaviour, applications for help can be made to the Family Court.

Who can be an attorney?

Your attorney can be anyone you trust to understand and respect your wishes and feelings. Usually they are a friend or family member, a colleague, or even a trustee corporation like the Public Trust (for property EPAs only).

They must, however, be over 20 years of age, not bankrupt and not mentally incapable themselves.

You may choose the same person for both EPAs. While you may have only one attorney for your personal care and welfare EPA, you may have more than one for your property EPA as you might want people with different skills to look after specific areas. You may also name other people you want your attorneys to consult with on EPA decisions.

Whoever your attorney/s are, it’s important you choose them carefully.

Can I change my EPA?

You can change or end your EPA at any time you are mentally capable. If you or your family have concerns about an attorney’s behaviour, applications for help can be made to the Family Court for help.

An attorney loses their power if they become bankrupt, mentally incapable, subject to a personal or property court order, or the Family Court revokes their appointment. An EPA stops if you, or they, die. You may name other attorneys to take over if your attorney dies.

Your attorney can also opt out of their role by giving notice in writing if you are still mentally capable, or go to the Family Court if you are no longer mentally capable.

How do I get an EPA?

When you’ve decided who you’d like as your attorney and what you want them to do, you need to arrange a lawyer, a qualified legal executive or a representative of a trustee corporation (like Public Trust) to be your witness. They will make sure you understand all your options, what the EPA document means, and that it meets all legal requirements.

Creating an EPA does cost money but there are ways to bring down the cost. Being organised, knowing what you want and filling out the forms on this page before seeing your witness will mean the process takes less time and can therefore be cheaper.

Some lawyers and other legal professionals offer a  SuperGold Card  discount so make sure you ask. They may also let you pay the cost off over time. Making an EPA when you make your Will or need to see your lawyer about another matter can also help you save on costs.

What should I prepare when setting up an EPA?

There are standard forms you must fill out to set up an EPA. You can download them from the Super Seniors website (Ministry of Social Development).


Enduring Power of attorney - protect your future Office for Seniors, Ministry of Social Development, NZ