Back to top anchor

Brought to you by Southern DHB and WellSouth primary health network

Open main menu Close main menu

Medical Colleges + Registration Bodies


A Visa is required to work and live in NZ. Most health professionals can apply under the Skilled Migrant category. You can apply for a Residence Visa, or a ‘Working Towards Residence Visa'. See for full details. This is a separate process to getting your registration with the relevant professional council or college.


In order to practice in New Zealand you will be required to be registered with the associated professional Board or Council. You will also be required to hold a current NZ Annual Practising Certificate.

For specific information and contact details visit the registration authority for your area of practice:

Medical Council of NZ
Nursing Council of NZ
Midwifery Council of NZ
NZ Psychologists Board
NZ Medical Radiation Technologist Board
Physiotherapy Board of NZ
Occupational Therapy Board of NZ
NZ Speech-Language Therapists Association
NZ Dietitians Board
NZ Social Workers Registration Board
NZ Audiological Society
Dental Council of NZ
Pharmacy Council of NZ
Anaesthetic Technicians (Medical Sciences Council of New Zealand)


Medical Colleges

Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Australasian College of Emergency Medicine
Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Australia and New Zealand College of Anaesthetics
Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists
Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners
Royal New Zealand College of Urgent Care