Southern DHB Alcohol and Drug Services
The Southern DHB Alcohol and Drug Services are delivered by the Specialist Addiction Services team (formerly Community Alcohol and Drug Service (CADS) in Otago and Drug and Alcohol Specialist Service (DASS) in Southland).
An Alcohol and Other Drug Counsellor offers support for youth aged 14-19 years. For more information, please see Southern DHB Child & Youth Mental Health Services.
All Southern DHB Alcohol and Drug Services locations have registered health professionals and access to an addiction specialist psychiatrist. Services provided include:
- Assessment of needs in relation to addiction.
- One to one counselling and case management in relation to substance use.
- Opioid Substitution Treatment.
- Assessment and referral to Residential Addiction Services including Medical Withdrawal (detox) services.
- Advice and support regarding compulsory treatment under the Substance Abuse Act.
- Advice regarding community supports.
In addition to the above, Dunedin (at Wakari Hospital) also provides a weekly group treatment programme.
There are no fees for services to public patients if you are lawfully in New Zealand and meet one of the eligibility criteria set by the Ministry of Health. If you do not meet the criteria, you will be required to pay for the full cost of any medical treatment you receive during your stay.
To check whether you meet the specified eligibility criteria, visit the Ministry of Health website www.moh.govt.nz/eligibility