Lakes District Hospital Queenstown Hospital Services
Lakes District Hospital is situated in Frankton, near Queenstown, and services all the communities in the Queenstown Lakes District including Garston, Kingston, Glenorchy, Queenstown, Arrowtown and the Wakatipu Basin. Lakes District Hospital is 2 ½ hours from our base hospital by road and 45 minutes by helicopter. There are over 1 million visitors to the district annually with a permanent population of approximately 47,000 people. Lakes District Hospital staff see a variety of work with up to 1,200 ED presentations per month leading to approximately 50 transfers to secondary or tertiary hospitals. Lakes District Hospital consists of 25 beds, a mix of maternity, acute medical, radiology, emergency and outpatient departments.
There is a vending machine in the Emergency Department reception area with some snacks available.
In 2019, refurbishment work was completed which included the addition of a new emergency department, Radiology suite including a CT scanner and refurbishment of the Outpatients department, including Telemedicine rooms.
Services provided include:
- 10 beds for Inpatient Acute Care
- 5 Maternity beds
- 10 beds for Level 2 emergency service that provides assessment and stabilisation
- Outpatient Clinics, Day Surgery and the Mobile Surgical Bus which visits every 6 weeks
- Specialists visit Lakes District Hospital to provide outpatient clinics and day surgery for minor procedures
- Allied Health Services physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work, speech language therapy, dietician and district nursing, Allied Health Assistants
- Diagnostic services of radiology, bed-side ultrasound, X-Ray and CT are also provided. We have digital radiology at the hospital
- Mental Health and Dental Services are co-located to the hospital and provide a wide range of services.